digiKam 0.9.0-beta1 and digiKamImagePlugins 0.9.0-beta1 released
The digiKam team is proud to announce the first beta release of
digiKam 0.9.0 and digiKamimageplugins 0.9.0.
The 0.9 series has been under heavy development since November and this beta
release offers you the opportunity to test and enjoy a variety of new
features, additions and improvements.
The source for digikam and digikamimageplugins 0.9.0-beta1 is available from:
A choice from the list of new features
- the sidebar is now used to display image file properties, metadata, comments, tags and color information
- full support for 16bit images in the image editor, all image plugins have been ported to make use of the new 16 bit infrastructure
- full support for color management, reading and storing color profiles
- greatly improved support for image metadata such as EXIF and IPTC (based on libexiv2)
- the main view provides a fast preview mode most useful for RAW images
- more than 100 bug fixes
A comprehensive list of new features and fixed bugs can be found in the
If you are interested in some of our plans for the future and in what is still missing for the final 0.9 release, have a look at the TODO file.
Digikam Movie Tour
There are four demonstration videos (Flash format) available highlighting some of the new features.
How to import a RAW file in 16 bits color depth into digiKam image editor using Color Management:
On the usage of the camera interface and how to add IPTC information to an image file:
On the new fast RAW file preview mode, the use of color profiles, image plugins supporting 16 bit and user interface improvements for all image plugins:
How to use the black and white converter and the add border image plugin, again demonstrating user interface improvements and full 16 bit support:
How to help us
This release is a beta release, which means that we ask users to test this version of digiKam and report bugs.
If you have found a bug, please report it to the bug tracking system at bugs.kde.org. In a first step, confirm that there is not already a bug report for your problem. A list of open bug reports for digikam can be found at
here, and for digikamimageplugins at this URL.